Linux Consultancy & System Administration
Welcome to linuxbox.co.uk, homepage of Peter Smith, a UK-based Linux consultant, programmer, system admin, web developer, and author
For the past 14 years I have been working on a freelance basis for clients in both the UK and abroad, dividing my time between web development (PHP/MySQL) and Linux system administration.
I'm always interested in taking on new clients, whether it be for a one-off project or regular work. If you have a project which you feel I may be interested in, feel free to contact me.
One thing I love about my work is the variety; nevertheless there are a handful of tasks which I am regularly asked to perform, and which consequently I have a lot of experience with. Theses include:
- Linux server performance tuning
- Modifications/enhancements to third party web applications (eg vBulletin, OSCommerce, Joomla)
- Email-related issues: spam/virus filtering, routing, virtual mailboxes, support for SASL etc.
- Backup strategies.
- Server migration
- Tightening security, and recovering from security breaches.
- Load-balancing and clustering
Some of the less common (but more interesting) areas I've worked on in the past include: automated burning of backups to DVD-R, modifications to SquirrelMail plugins, repairing broken Plesk upgrades, tracking down the cause of random crashes, recovering deleted data from ext2 partitions, and Spam filtering in Qmail.
Consultancy is offered at a flat rate of $60/hour (or 40 GBP, whichever currency you prefer). Please contact me for further details. You may also like to read more about my background, and the areas that I work in.
- Linux Consultancy
- Web Development
- Linux Network Security
- Server/Website Performance
- Professional Website Performance
- Dialog Quiz
- Apache Fingerprinting: mod_pof
- mod_miserable (Apache)
- Firefox Toolbar Tutorial
- SEO Postcodes (OS Commerce)
(+44) 07890 592198